Tuesday, March 8, 2011

THE WALL!

RACE DAY!!!


We are at the start line, 6am. Time to get out of the car and run!


The Snicker's Bar Marathon in Albany, GA humbled this athlete as it painfully brought me to my knees. I know now why that at most marathons every finisher gets a medal, it is so well deserved. I respect every mile of the 26.2 mile course as it can chew up and spit out the best of athletes on any given day.

My first goal was to get to the start line healthy, which I did, but at the sacrifice of not hitting some of the longer runs. Better to be 10% undertrained, then 1% overtrained at the start line I was once told. Well, no problems there I thought! Cross training with swimming and cycling in no way replacec the impact and use of those much needed running muscles. But, I was there at the start, mentally and physically ready to race.

My second goal was to finish the race, and my third, to Boston Qualify.

The cannon fired at 7am, and we were off, about 800 hopeful marathoners prowling the streets of Albany, accompanied by our other companion, on and off rain showers. The rain was a blessing in hindsight, keeping the temperatures very cool and the winds at bay. I felt great as I moderated my pace, took the most direct lines around corners, and pretended to draft off of tall, lanky fit dudes. I knew about "the wall" at mile 20 that most marathoners hit and had practiced and visualized prior to the race literally stepping over the wall or crashing thru the wall. Mile 20 came and went and I still felt great, right on Boston qualifying pace. However, I failed to realize that a new construction project was taking place with no notice, and at mile 23, I ran smack into The Great Wall of Albany.

My body literally shut down after holding an 8:22 pace for 23 miles. I reeled as my quads, calfs, and feet went into full lockdown cramp mode. Things were cramping that I didn't know could cramp. I hobbled to the side of the road attempting to entertain the idea of 'stretching it out'. HA! It was far too late. I cursed the marathon! I prayed to God to carry me to the finish line. I swore up and down I would never do this again, how stupid of me! My last three miles were roughly 14min, 17min, and 14min. pace as my body went into shock and I could not run without cramping severely. I was forced to walk, a very cold, wet walk of shame, as runners trudged by my broken body. They may as well have been trampling on my very inner soul. I was disheartened. So close, yet so far away. I could physically not go any faster! I was in a very foul mood as the miles slowly trickled down. My 3:40 pace team caught me, then the 3:50 pace team, then the sub 4 hour pace team. A snail could have caught me at this speed. Eventually, I could see the finish line, and in a meager attempt, trotted across. I could have cried. I had visualized myself crossing the line, throwing my arms up victoriously, blowing kisses to the crowd and proudly looking up as the finishing clock displayed a time of 3:40, qualifying me for Boston. But, not now. My teeth were gritted in pain as I crossed, humbled to 4 hours, and 1 minute. It may have well been a lifetime.

I was mentally and physically drained after the race. I gave absolutely 120% and left everything on the course. I fell to my knees in true dramatic fashion and thought I was going to pass out. After closing my eyes and regaining some composure, a gentleman assisted me to the side and offered me a bottle of cool, yellow gatorade. I sat there waiting for my friend to finish, watching all the runners come thru the chute, vowing I would never do THIS again. THIS was too hard, too much! The gatorade could onl quench my thirst and not my broken spirit.











The silver finishing towel a volunteer hugged around me shimmered in the rain. The green finishers medal dangling around my neck felt cold pressed against my chest. I could not move, frozen with cramped muscles and fixated on that finish line. 18 weeks of training, and THIS is the result?





I wouldn't trade THIS for the world. I left every drop of me on the course, no regrets,.......for I am now a marathoner which I think is pretty damn cool.












1 comment:

  1. congrats again! :) love the pics. i think i missed them on the headstrong post (i read it at work and pics are blocked).

    ReplyDelete