Tuesday, March 8, 2011

THE DAY AFTER


3/6 Bittersweet. I lay in bed in Albany unable to sleep after the marathon. Thoughts tumble and dance thru my head about the race, the journey, the ups, the downs, the good, the ugly, the beautiful. I smile. Although the race did not go perfectly for me, I am proud of myself and proud of Danette. We did AWESOME! We finished our first marathon together! All of the people I have trained with over the last 18 weeks have made this a very special journey and have carried me to victory. I am so thankful for good friends and all the blessings that God has given me. I would not have done this by myself, I could not have done this by myself. It has taken a village to raise this marathoner!

Now, on to more serious matters......how do I roll out of bed to go and use the bathroom? It is 6am in the morning and I have got to go.....i've held it as long as possible. I roll to the left and drop the first foot down, not too bad, I think. Then, I ever so lightly put the second foot down and begin to put weight on my legs. I feel like a new fawn as I weeble and wobble on stilt like legs over to the distant bathroom. I am really sore. I must have done something yesterday! Now, sitting on the toilet.....priceless.
On the way back home, Danette and I stop at Whole Foods again in ATL to meet a couple of friends. I share with them about the torturous marathon and how I vowed I would never do it again. My friend Jackie talks about her first upcoming ultramarathon and her eventual desire to complete the 100 mile running race in Leadville. Then she says, you should do Jacksonville marathon with us this December. And, without even giving it a second thought, I say "count me in." What are friends for after all? Let the journey begin!



No comments:

Post a Comment