Sunday, February 27, 2011

I AM A KENYAN!!



WEEK 18

What a great day. I'm sitting here basking in the sun, feet propped up on an outside patio deck attached to Weinacker's Restaurant. The only thing moving other than me is the occasional twitch of a nearby tan and white momma cat that is also enjoying the evening sunset. She is at peace, perched perfectly on the deck railing, cat napping and soaking up as much sun into her coat as possible before nighttime will inevitably capture the last glorious rays of the day. I too am at peace, knowing that I have done everything in my power to prepare for the big event which is in 5 days. But, who is counting anyway? I have watched as the Albany, Ga. weather forecast has creeped its way into the weekly forecast. I've anticipated the weather, knowing that rain or shine, I'll be at that start line. It's my time. It's go time.

I've done a lot of reading the last 3 weeks about tapering. How a taper can drive any athlete insane as you balance resting with not going crazy or driving everyone else insane by not working out as part of your daily regimen. I'm actually starting to get a sacral pressure area from being so highly proficient at this :O. Tapers work, pure and simple. Rest now, race hard later. I'm stocking up my glycogen stores and making sure to hydrate. But, most importantly, I'm staying confident. Running a marathon is much more a mental challenge than a physical one. I'm confident I have done my best, and my best is what I will leave in Albany on March 5th, 2011.

2/27 Warm sunshine greeted me at the track along with two of my dear friends, Todd and Danette. Today, was to be the last long run of 8-10 miles at marathon pace. I took great comfort in running in my usual circles around my usual track with my familiar running friends. I will have new friends to run with in Albany. I have stalked my pacer for the 3:40 pace team on the race website. His name is simply John, not marathoner John, or Dear John, but just John. We have the same birthday, imagine that. That surely bodes well for me. He has done 78 marathons, including ultra's. I have done.... a total of none. His favorite food is 'everything'. Well, me too, Pacer John! I'm not picky, let's just run 26.2 miles and have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich to boot. John has undoubtedly helped many a novice marathoner to complete their goal. I don't think he can truly realize how much of a service he provides as he sets a consistent, steadfast pace for 26.2 miles. Thank you in advance!

I am feeling tapered and today's marathon pace seemed slow, which is always a confidence booster. I constantly had to monitor my Garmin to settle myself back into marathon pace. You don't win medals for training a friend once told me. How true.


DISTANCE: 9 miles
Avg. pace: 8:12
Avg. HR 152bpm


I am ready ,
and as steady as ever,

like a cat perched perfectly on a deck rail,

I am forever thankful for Jesus and the sacred Holy Grail.
Fully humbled for this journey, to live, to be!

It's been so much more than just running a marathon to me.

3/1 It is officially the first day of March. Danette and I venture to our sacred ground, our track. Our track mates and now good friends are there too, working out. Rob and Larry have encouraged and offered opinions and much needed advice as we have trained round and round. They are dedicated athletes. Rob holds the world record in his age group for decathlon. That is 10 events. I'm just trying to successfully balance one event! Larry is older and wiser and very fast, especially in the sprints. He gives Danette and I a spike off his shoe for good luck in the marathon. Maybe it fell out, maybe he pulled it out, or maybe he found it on the ground. It doesn't matter, it is the thought that bears the weight of his gift to us. We comleted 4 x 400 meter repeats at a quick, but not all out pace. These repeats are my favorite distance, and today, I owned them, dancing lightly on the inside lane like a butterfly flapping in the summer wind. Not to toot my own horn, but I am really a pro at this tapering business :)
DISTANCE 3.5 miles
Max. HR 171







No comments:

Post a Comment