Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Post Race Bliss

There was no endorphine high after the race. I felt like I had been run over by a truck, then backed over once again. I was loopy and needed dry clothes and real food. I was sick of that sticky sweet taste of hammer gels and ready to either eat something good or starved to death. It was a painfully long walk to Danette's car. It felt like marathon distance away. I trudged along very slowly hoping not to lock up.

We settled on a restaurant joint called Build-A-Burger which promised burgers made to order with real angus beef. I didn't care if it was real or one of those fake compressed patties as I scarfed down a smothered mushroom burger, homemade french fries, and crispy onion rings covered with ketchup and extra salt. I even savored the finger lickin' good taste of the salt and grease mixed on my fingers. After I ate this, I felt rejuvenated. Seriously, I could have eaten 3 burgers with ease. My body was screaming for some more calories and this hit the spot.

Danette and I opted to go back to the hotel room and rest, which we did like pros. We were too tired to roll out of our respected beds to even take showers. I made myself an ice bath by dumping buckets of ice in a cooler I brought. The temperature of this ice bath was Mach -20 and it was absolute torture as we took turned icing our calfs and feet.








Our only outing that night was Outback which was one of Danette's favorite restaurants. We proudly wore our race tech tees in and even our green finisher medals for fun. We ate like queens! and were feeling great until we slowly started to slide out of the booth to leave, put our foot down and looked at each other and groaned. We were stiff and a customer actually laughed at us as we groaned completely in unison.

Too tired to go and party, our old ailing joints forced us back to the hotel. I cracked open my dark chocolate bar and opened some red wine as Danette and I toasted to our journey! What a special day to share with such a special friend!

1 comment:

  1. that is one redneck ice bath! haha. i take advantage of ice baths in hotels - free ice machine and all. my fridge doesn't quite produce like that.

    ReplyDelete